Not just a lurker anymore!

That’s it, I’m done just lurking.

For those of you who don’t know lurking is, in this context it’s when you read blogs but don’t comment on them.

Funnily enough, I wrote a blog entry on my library’s blog today, which was deliberately aimed at seeking feedback – in this instance, for our proposed new website. The aim being to measure the success of our still fledgling blog by hopefully getting some response, but also to get some feedback on the proposed changes and maybe some things we hadn’t considered yet. I’ll let you know how that goes.

Then I went home and read David Lee King‘s blog entries “Inviting Participation in Web 2.0“, quickly followed by Helen Blowers response to that at Library Bytes with “Don’t be shy… say Hi!” as part of National Delurking Week. So I dutifully responded to Helen’s call and left a comment and then realised….. I don’t generally comment and I don’t often use trackbacks (a reference back to a blog entry referenced), so how will bloggers know that I have read, appreciated and used their blog entries as a starting point to creating my own? In turn, I know I love having comments on my blog and hearing how what I have written has impacted my readers.

I am starting to write my paper for the Computers in Libraries conference in April and one aspect I am covering is Libraries building communities. How else does the bibliogosphere create community amongst library bloggers, except through comments and trackbacks?

I have posted the odd comment, but as of now, once in a blue moon is not enough. From now on, I will actively seek to give feedback to the bloggers who have inspired me and trackback to those blog entries that get me started on my own blog entries.

If you feel equally inspired, why not join me in De-Lurking month and maybe lets make it last longer than this month, lets make it a permanent thing. In the meantime, I have to go, I have comments to leave and trackbacks to organise.

9 comments

Skip to comment form

• Kathryn Greenhill on January 11, 2007 at 11:31 am

Hi Michelle…how could I resist?

I’m a pretty good commenter…but trackbacks?..don’t know how to do ’em. I’ve seen the code put at the bottom of posts, and never knew quite what to do with it. I thought most of it was just magically handled by the Technorati Fairy.

So..I’m unlurking with a request for enlightenment. (or I could just look it up on the internet tubes, I suppose).

• Michelle McLean on January 11, 2007 at 11:46 am

Hey Kathryn,

Thanks for the feedback. I’m with you on trackbacks, but I’m a reference librarian so I’m looking into it right now. I guess that will make my next blog post!

• moonflowerdragon on January 11, 2007 at 2:02 pm

Hi Michelle

I don’t comment a lot, but I noticed your comment at Helene’s Library Bytes. I’ve been lurking at your blog for some time, though I don’t remember now how I found your blog. I began the 23 Things last year for my own interest so I was tickled to see that you and your library have picked it up as a training programme – great stuff.

• Helene on January 11, 2007 at 5:14 pm

In the spirit of delurking week, I’m sending you a big hello wave too! Looking forward to meeting you at CIL. πŸ™‚

• Michelle McLean on January 11, 2007 at 10:22 pm

moonflowerdragon – I can’t claim my workplace as a Learning 2.0 training area yet, we will pick it up later this year though, after we have our new library system settled in.

• Riverleigh on January 13, 2007 at 12:21 am

Hi Michelle,
    Well, I’m a long time lurker at many library related blogs so de-lurking is a bit daunting but here goes…my library service has taken up the Library 2.0 challenge and has offered the chance to win a laptop as incentive for staff to begin AND finish. I found it very interesting and informative and am feeling more ‘in touch’ with the various technological tools available today.
    A great learning program and one I recommend for everyone, whether in the information profession or not.
    Regards
    Leslie

• Michelle McLean on January 13, 2007 at 12:25 am

Thanks Helene and riverleigh,

And congrats to you riverleigh on de-lurking and starting Learning 2.0, that’s great!

• Riverleigh on January 13, 2007 at 12:56 am

Thanks Michelle, we’ll see how long it lasts! And I actually finished the Library 2.0 training (with Yarra Plenty)and am looking for something else to begin, it’s addictive…: )
    Cheers
    Leslie

• Teena on January 15, 2007 at 3:34 am

In celebration of delurking month … hello πŸ™‚

Comments have been disabled.