Its Day 28 of 30 blog posts in 30 days challenge and I’m inspired today by another quote.
I have just started a Quote of the Week in our staffroom at work – picking up on the groundbreaking Word of the Week started by my predecessor. I was inspired by a quote forwarded to me by my husband, who has a blog – Quote for the Day.
Anyway, the quote is as follows:
“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.” Jo Godwin.
The staff have delighted in this quote, its one they can relate to quite easily as we have enough complaints about someone being offended about something in the library.
The more common complaints are about (at least in recent years):
- Having games consoles to play on (used to be the Internet computers)
- Having graphic novels that are too graphic (same was said for romances a decade ago)
- Having pictures of human bodies in anatomy type books that kids can access (that one has been consistent since forever)
- Too noisy
- Not given enough time on the computers – just to finish ……
- Not trusted to do x without x (eg. borrow without their card, or borrow if they promise that they will return their long overdue item the next day, etc, etc)
What sort of things does your library do/offer or not, that causes offense to some?